3. Collection of data and how information we hold about you can be usedAs you explore our Websites, you will come across places in which we ask you to provide us with information about yourself. We explain each of these below. We will not use your name or email address for any purpose other than as stated.
Email, Feedback and Enquiries
3.1. In some places in this site, we ask for your feedback, opinions, suggestions, or invite enquiries and provide you with a link or other means for contacting us. We will only use the contact address we receive from you and any other information that you provide for the purpose of responding to your enquiries or suggestions. In doing so, we may refer your details to the appropriate person or company whether a third party or within The Random House Group Limited or Penguin Books Limited.
Use of User Generated Content Functions
3.2. You should be aware that if you disclose personal information in content that you provide for forums or comment or review functions that information can be collected and used by others and may result in unsolicited messages from third parties. When using these functions, you should remember that you are legally liable for the material you post, including for libel, copyright infringement and any other liability.
Provision of Courses
3.4. In order to receive the email newsletter we require you to provide an email address to which the Newsletter will be sent. We may also use this email address for marketing purposes. This will include sending you marketing by email if you have indicated that you wish to receive email marketing from us. We will not pass information provided for the purposes of receiving the Newsletter to third parties unless necessary for providing the Newsletter.
3.5. All of our Email Newsletters include instructions on how to unsubscribe. Please follow these instructions to remove yourself from our individual lists.
4. Storage and Disclosure of Personal DataWe will retain the data we hold concerning you for as long as it is necessary to do so. We will retain and/or disclose your personal data to authorised authorities without your consent where we are required to do so under the law.
5. CookiesCookies are electronic tags that most websites place on your computer in the process of sending your computer a file, such as a web page. We use them as well. A cookie can tell us when a computer that has previously visited our site returns, and what pages it requests on each of its visits. Cookies help us keep track of how our visitors (or more accurately, their computers) use our site, including such things as the type of browser they use, the frequency of their visits and the pages that are most popular. They can help smooth your travel through our site by keeping track of information that has already been provided by your computer so that you do not need to re-enter it.
In no event does the cookie we place on your computer tell us anything about your visits to other websites (except those you enter through a link on our site), or your use of the Internet in any other way.
Please see the table below for an overview of the cookies that we use.
|Category of Cookie||Function||When Applied|
|Session||Remembers what you've done during the course of your browsing session on our websites e.g. so your shopping basket is populated with the items you've selected when you proceed to the checkout. These cookies are erased when you close your web browser.Session Cookies that we use: - Shopping Basket Cookies to tell us what you've put in your basket when you get to the checkout.||When you perform an action on one of our websites that needs to be remembered.|
|Persistent||Remembers limited details about you for subsequent visits to our websites (so you don't have to tell us all over again). These stay on your computer, but can be manually deleted.Persistent Cookies that we use: - Authentication Cookies that enable you to sign in to your accounts with your username and password.- Preference Cookies which store information on how you've previously chosen to display the website so that when you view it again, those choices stay in place.||When you set a preference or create an account on our websites.|
|Analytics||We use Google Analytics to help us analyse our web traffic. These cookies gather anonymous demographic information which we use to tell us what we're doing right and what we're doing not so right on our websites.||For a full explanation of Google Analytics Cookies, please visit their website.|
7. Security of private informationWe would like to be able to tell you that the personal information you provide us with is absolutely safe. Unfortunately, several well-publicised instances of computer security breaches make it impossible for anyone to be so confident. However we take reasonable steps to protect the information you provide us from theft, alteration or unauthorized inspection.
8. Parents and guardiansWe encourage you to get involved with your children’s online usage and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating. We also ask you to check back here regularly to see what our latest policies are, particularly those relating to children. You should be aware that if your children voluntarily disclose their names, email addresses or other information on bulletin boards, forums, comment or review or other participatory areas of websites, such disclosures may result in unsolicited messages from other parties. We suggest that you discourage your child from providing such information on these Websites or elsewhere unless you are confident that the information will not be misused.
The Writers’ Academy from The Random House Group Limited and Penguin Books Limited
In conjunction with:
The Interactive Design Institute Ltd
Delivering a unique online learning experience.
© The Random House Group 2016 incorporated in England and Wales.
Company number: 00954009
VAT number: 102838980
20 Vauxhall Bridge
Penguin Books Limited incorporated in England and Wales.
Company number: 00861590
VAT number: 102838980
80 Strand, London WC2R 0RL
The Interactive Design Institute Ltd
Place of registration: Scotland
Company number: SC265879
VAT number: 847211435
Stuart House, Eskmills, Musselburgh, EH21 7PB, Scotland